For CUPE 4879 Members, their Child/Spouse, or those under their
Return Completed Application and all Documents to:
CUPE 4879 Administrative Office
TRU, Kamloops, BC V2C 0C8
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.4879.cupe.ca
Applications can be mailed or sent electronically
Three $1000 education awards are available. Preference will be given for one award to a student in a trade, technical, or vocational program; for the second award, preference will be given to a student in an academic program, and the third will be awarded to a student in either a trade or academic program.
The applicant must:
1. Have a parent, guardian, or spouse/partner who is a member in good standing of CUPE Local 4879; or the applicant her/himself must be a member in good standing of CUPE Local 4879.
2. Submit proof of paid registration:
• In a full-time course load (for academic and vocational students, this means enrolment in at least 3 courses; and for trades and technical students, this means enrolment in at least an 8 week full-time training course).
• In a first year or subsequent years at a recognized post-secondary institution in a trade, technical, vocational, or academic program in Canada.
• For the academic year in which they are applying for the scholarship.
Note: Preference will be given to students attending Thompson Rivers University.
3. Submit a 500-word letter (maximum length) describing their future plans and their knowledge of unions in their community.
4. Provide a letter of reference from an employer or from a representative of a school recently attended.
5. Submit the completed application form and additional materials requested above to the CUPE 4879 administration office by 12:00 noon of the stated deadline day in a sealed envelope marked “CUPE 4879 EDUCATION AWARD” on the outside with no other identifying information.
EVALUATION CRITERIA/GENERAL GUIDELINES
1. Qualifying applicants must comply fully with the requirements set out above.
2. Applications must be submitted to the CUPE administration office in sealed envelopes, which will be handled only by the CUPE administration secretary who will maintain the confidentiality of the applicants’ identity to prevent possible conflicts of interest and ensure the fairness of the evaluation in the selection process.
3. The Education Committee will evaluate the applications on the merit of their content only. The applicant’s identity will be completely masked on all documents reviewed by the committee. The evaluation will be conducted on the basis of the adherence of the application to the requirements, and the quality and content of the essay and the reference letter―all of these elements will be given equal weight. When possible, preference will be given to making one award to a student in a trade, technical, or vocational program; and another award to a student in an academic program; the third award will be made available to a student in either a trade or an academic program.
4. When a known conflict of interest occurs with respect to a member of the Education Committee―for example, when the applicant is a dependant of a member of the Education Committee―then that member will not participate in the evaluation process. The Executive Committee will appoint a member of the Executive Committee to participate in the evaluation process in place of the Education Committee member.
5. The Education Committee will make their selection decision, record their findings, and make a written recommendation to the Executive Committee for confirmation. The identity of the selected applicants will not be revealed before the Executive Committee makes their confirmation.
6. The identity of unsuccessful applicants will remain confidential in perpetuity. However, the total number of applicants in each given school year can be revealed to the CUPE 4879 membership.
EDUCATION AWARD TIMELINES
1. The application deadline is 12 noon on December 15th, 2016.
2. If less than three application submissions are received, the Education Committee will promote the education award availability amongst CUPE 4879 members and make every effort to garner additional applications.
3. The selected recipients of the education awards will be notified by mid-February or as soon thereafter as possible. The CUPE 4879 office administration will process the monetary awards, and arrangements will be made to deliver the cheques to the recipients as soon as possible after their notification.